Friday, 18 September 2015

Research

College Magazine Questionnaire


Q1. What Is Your Gender?
_Male     _Female

Q2. Do You Generally Read Magazines?
_Yes     _No

Q3. What Genre Of Magazines Do You Prefer?
_Teen     _Sport     _Lifestyle     _Music     _Entertainment     _Fashion     _Gossip

Q4. What Are Your Main Interests?
_Sport     _Social Networking     _Photography/ Art     _Music/ Drama     _Cooking     _Gaming     _Socialising with Friends     _Shopping

Q5. What First Attracts You To A Magazine?
_Photo     _Headline     _Colours     _Layout     _Title of Magazine

Q6. What Is Your Favourite Colour?
_Red     _Blue     _Yellow     _Orange     _Green     _Purple     _White     _Black     _Pink



Primary Research - Questionnaire

     The primary data I have collected from my College Magazine Questionnaire will help influence how I construct my College Magazine as I have taken 20 people and asked them fairly basic closed questions in order to understand further what I should include in my magazine in order to attract a wider audience.

    Question 1 will show who the results of the questionnaire were based around: if mostly females answered the questionnaire then all the answers would be tailored to what girls would want out of a magazine more than boys, but I have tailored my audience who took the questionnaire to be as close to 50/50 as I could make the genders.
    Question 2 was used the see who out of the audience would actually read the contents of the magazine and to see how much depth I should put into the written work or the actual pictures which are used to attract the readers in the first place.
     Question 3 was used so as I could further examine magazines with which there is already a big audience for and see what I could do to my own College magazine in order to attract the same kind of "buzz" around my own magazine; the sports magazines came out on top in this question meaning including some form of sport related picture or text on the front of the magazine would attract a larger audience than if I did not include any sport related things. 
     Along with Question 3, I also decided upon Question 4 being of fair significance as it would tell me what kinds of things people would want to read about; likewise with question 3, sport came out as the most popular interest showing the significance of including a sport related subject would be for the audience of the magazine.
     From Question 5, I know that the majority of people look for some kind of flashy image on the front that is familiar in some way to them and this shows the importance of selecting a good image for the front cover of my magazine. 
     And finally, Question 6 showed me which main colours I should use on my magazine in order to further attract the interest of a wider audience. The top colour was blue so I shall be including blue in my magazine as the main colour and with red and green as close seconds I have decided upon using the primary colour scheme (red, yellow and blue) on my magazine cover as it incorporates the favourite colours of 55% of the people who took my questionnaire. 




Secondary Research - Magazines

  • Use of primary colours to draw attention to specific content
  • Subject wearing simple clothing with no writing to stop attention disappearing from content of magazine
  • Medium close-up photo draws attention to the subject
  • Darker background will avoid conflict with lighter colours containing information and allows the subject to stand out amongst the background as well
  • Typeface at top of front cover to draw attention to the title of the magazine 
  • Must have bar code, date (month and year) and issue number (if part of a series)
  • Sans Serif Font to make the magazine feel more modern and to appeal further to the college aged students
  • Subject in middle of cover over the centre grid to draw the readers attention straight to the magazine
  • Subject looking straight into the camera as the direct eye contact engaged the viewer and makes then feel like part of the magazine 
  • Contents and further inside the magazine should have the same colour scheme and style as the front cover to make it appear as part of the whole magazine, and not pieces of separate magazines 
Contents Page:
  • The courses - routine, time management, exam help and advice
  • Students - life around the college as a student, trips, and phone apps
  • Social - clubs, activities, opportunities, and school year plan
  • Budget - jobs, savings, and the price of college
  • Help - career advice/ ideas, map of the college, advice on smoking, drugs, problems, anxiety, depression, and the college counsellor/ helplines and helpful websites (part of a contacts page)
  • Competition page to win something

No comments:

Post a Comment