Wednesday, 30 September 2015

Font Experimentation

In order for my college magazine to create the best possible impact and to further relate and engage my niche market I have chosen a Sans Serif font as it looks more modern making the magazine appear fresh and new in comparison to other magazines intended for a different audience or age group. As the masthead is a key element to a magazine, and what 15% of people asked in my questionnaire think is most important in a magazine, I have chosen seven different, however similar, fonts to study and consider for my masthead.

I have decided up the title "STUDENT . ROOM" for my college magazine title as I feel it is original and, at the same time, relatable to my audience. The word "student" is designed to relate to the majority of my niche market and the word room implies a safe and private area where people can find comfort, specifically new students. The two words together create a familiar thought of where students can go for help, to study, to meet and talk to friends, as well as other things which helps relate the contents of what would be in the magazine to the reader before they even know what is inside the magazine. I think this is effective as it shows a clear link and "flow" throughout that magazine that is simple and easy enough for all types of people to enjoy. 

I have decided upon using PORTER for my masthead as I feel it is the most aesthetically appealing as well as looking the most "naturally professional" due to its simplicity, spacing and weight. I have also decided to use GEOMETOS as the typeface for the coverlines as it is similar to PORTER allowing the "theme" of the magazine to flow and I will be using Coolvetica as my smaller typeface on my magazine cover as I feel it will fit fluidly throughout my magazine a link well with the main coverlines and masthead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment